Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sexy Salsa Dancing

     While the summer was winding down, another weekend was approaching.  Things were going pretty good.  I had got lucky on my birthday and won $600 on a slot machine the next day!  I was on friendly talking terms with my ex, and my son was spending weekends with him and Bambi.  I couldn't really complain much!
     Earlier in the week, a friend from work, Eva, and our mutual friend Maria, invited me to join them at a Salsa dance party Saturday night.  I said ok, probably, sure, why not...I honestly wasn't really looking forward to going, but, I had nothing better to do, so I said "what the hell"!
     On Saturday I worked like usual, then went home to get ready.  What would I wear?  Salsa dancing required a skirit that moved and high heels.  I put together an ensemble that worked, and when I was happy with the result, I took a deep breath and left to meet up with my group and get my cha cha cha on!
     Eva brought her husband Dave who had gone out with us a few times before.  I wispered in his ear that I thought we were the only white people there!  Ok, other than the two blond bartenders, there were maybe a handful of caucasion people, everyone else was Hispanic.
      I was a little uptight, and sterotypically ordered a margarita as my first drink.  I crowded into the corner of the bar between my two friends.  They were already moving to the beat of the music.  We looked out onto the dance floor and saw Janet, a dance instructor who worked part-time with us.  She was being spun and turned, and it looked oh so fun!  I now ordered a chardonnay because of the beautiful glass they were serving it in, and it was too hot in there for red wine.  I was now starting to loosen up.  Shortly thereafter, I was out on the floor shaking my groove thing!  The next thing I know, someone puts me in the front of a conga line.  I'm pretty sure I stood out like a sore thumb;  A strawberry blond in a seaful of burnets!  When we headed back to the bar, I was so hot that I ordered a Corona with lime.  Eva said to me, "I thought you said you didn't know how to Salsa dance?"  I said, "I never said that!"  Then a Latino man sent me a shot of tequilla.  I asked one of the blond bartenders for salt and a lime.  I did my shot like a pro!  I licked salt from the back of my hand, downed my tequilla and bit into my lime.  Then he grabbed me and took me to the dance floor.  He spun me like I was on Dancing with the Stars!  Somehow I was able to follow his lead, and look like I knew what I was doing!  We ended the dance, and I thanked him.  He spoke very little English.   I rejoined my friends at the bar for a nightcap, as if I needed one more!  So what started as a night I dreaded, ended up being a ton of fun!  So hats off to trying new things- life is an adventure and fun is what you make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment